Friday, December 31
New Year's Goals
This song has always been one of my favorites and I now know why, it hit me yesterday. I specifically remember hearing this song on a chilly spring morning my freshman year of high school. I was riding with my hairdresser to school like every other morning, sitting directly behind the drivers seat and this song for some reason stuck with me, even until this day I have always sung this song and felt like it has meaning in/to my life. I have always loved it. You know, I think it was that morning that I truly realized what it was like to live the Christian life and know what it felt like. It was an amazing moment and I am forever grateful to Mrs. Jennifer for showing me what it is to live THAT life. She is an amazing woman of God.
I guess what I'm saying is this song so well describes my life, in my head at least. I was saved the summer of seventh grade at church camp in the mountains. I was on a high, the "new" hadn't worn off yet and it wasn't hard to live "the" life in front of others. I really hit a low in my Christian life my 11th and 12th grade years. There were so many unknowns and I thought I trusted my Lord. I truly didn't. It wasn't until this past year that I truly started trusting God, fully, completely, wholly, not worrying about burdens- just turning them over to Him. Now don't get me wrong I still have a lot of work to do, and I realize that, but at the same time I am soo proud of myself for making this progress that I have in my Christian walk. But let me tell you it is a good feeling knowing that your life and worries are in His hands.
I think there was a point my freshman year of college that this "trust issue" was resolved. It wasn't all at once, because I still feel like I'm continuing to "let go," but there was a major point when I took a leap in faith. I was sitting in Cotten lobby talking to Sarah as she was going through some hard times. Little did I know that I was changing before my eyes, sitting in that uncomfortable chair in front of those huge windows. I remember the night so well. And I knew something good happened when I laid down in bed that night.
All this to say that this song just really has impacted me and made me look back and realize just how far I have come since the day I was saved and that day sitting in Mrs. Jennifer's back seat. I am forever thankful to her for blasting some Jesus music on the way to and from school everyday.
Now onto the New Year's Eve part of this post. I'm not making any resolutions per se but I'm going to list a couple of goals and "commitments" to myself. ha!
- I want to continue my prayer life I have formed these past few months. I find myself in conversation during the day and just simply praying. I love this and want to continue it.
- I want to keep up my nightly routine of devotional reading and Bible reading and writing. Thanks to Sarah I have formed this lovely routine. See roomies are good for something, kidding!, I love my roomies all the time. :)
- I feel like my friends and I have gotten woven even tighter together this past year. I love this! Friends are such an important part of your life and a wonderful "support" system. I think I have done a decent job of making "deposits" into their lives, I know they have for me.
- I want to continue to be a key part of my Momma's life. I want so bad for her to get back into loving the Lord. Not that I think she doesn't just that she isn't actively pursuing Him, I feel she is putting other things first. This kills me on the inside because I know what she is missing but she doesn't.
- I want to be accepted into nursing school at ECU. This has been something I have had to turn over to God, I have stressed wayyyyyy too much over this, it is not in my hands anymore after Monday the 10th when I turn in my application. Not that it's in my hands now..
- I want to make sure my parent's know just how thankful I am for what they do for me. I don't think I have done the best job at this, this past year.
I hope 365 days from now I can look back at this and check everything off this list with a smile on my face. Happy New Year! I think 2011 is going to be a good year! At least I hope it is! :)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I remember that night in Cotten lobby like it was yesterday. It has been such a blessing to watch you grow deeper in love with Christ over this past year. Thank you for letting me be a part of this exciting adventure! I am so grateful for that day in September when the fire alarms went off in Cotten Hall. I never knew how blessed I would be standing outside there that day talking with you and Lauren. God really knew what He was doing when He gave the the greatest roommates I could ever ask for! Love you!
ReplyDelete