Thursday, April 5

Desiring God or Empty Promises

I'm reading Empty Promises by Pete Wilson which has really got my wheels turning. Can you see the smoke blowing yet?

No seriously though, this book is making me think and examine my life and my desires for my life like never before! It's good, but man, I've got some adjustments to make. Quick, fast and in a hurry!

I've only read the first two chapters and so far it has been about idols we have/make in our own lives that maybe we have never seen as idols before and it's about truly examining our 'desires' in our hearts.

First can I be real honest with y'all for a second... this morning before I started reading this book I would have told you that I didn't have any idols in my life (haha, I laugh in my own face now!) and I would have told you the desires of my heart were pure and things that God placed there (they are desires that God placed in my heart, and for a reason, but I have made them into something bigger and not Christ-centered).

He, Pete, asks you some questions in the second chapter about your life, just to help you peel back a layer of the onion and dig a little bit deeper..

"What occupies my mind? What do I spend my time day dreaming about?" Umm, hello getting married, who am I going to marry?, when?, or how great my life is going to be when that time comes, I wonder what my kids will be like, brown hair? brown eyes? blue eyes?, how many kids will I have?, will I be a RN, NP, PA, or MD?, yadda yadda yadda. ONE THING, IDOLS!!! My future is a big idol in my life.

"Who or what do I tend to be jealous of?" Lauren. Plain and simple. The girl seems to have it all together. She is my best friend, but I'm jealous of her. Yeah, you heard right! But it's not really the jealousy that first comes to mind when you hear that a girl is jealous of another girl. It's more of we have a lot of the same hopes and dreams for our lives and she is a little closer to 'that' life being fulfilled than me. I almost live my life through her. Does that make sense?

"What do I spend most of my time doing?" School, plain and simple. From the time I wake up until the time I go to bed. Of course I do plenty of other things while procrastinating but I always have a running to-do list of what must be done today or this week.

"Where does the majority of my money go?" Food and things I buy for myself. Sad but true.

Just as Pete Wilson encourages his readers, I encourage you to answer these four questions for yourself. Be completely honest. And then if your like me, you will need to do some serious reevaluating and praying to the Lord.

A lot of my answers pointed me to the desires of my heart. In those questions you basically know the main desires of my heart right now, you wanna know what is missing? The desire to seek and know the Lord on a more intimate level!! This has to be my first want for anything else to even fall behind it. Without Jesus, no desire is met. We are left hungry and wanting more and more. Empty promises! Empty promises lie within everything that our heart desires except for Jesus. Jesus is the only person that will EVER fill that void that want for more. HE himself is enough for me and you.

Reprioritize your life and your desires!!

"Idolatry isn't simply a sin, it's what is fundamentally wrong with the human heart."
"The truth is, all the money, talent, attractiveness, and popularity in the world will not protect anyone from the stupidity of sin. And none of these things will fulfill the burning desire for more that drives people to fall for false promises."
"I believe our desires are inside of us for a reason. True, if left unmonitored, they can lead us right into empty promises. But they are ultimately there to lead us to Christ, the only person who can actually fulfill them."



No comments:

Post a Comment