Sunday, May 15

One Better

Let me preface this by saying ever since I finished school I have been in one huge funk. I have been ill/moody/snappy/and just flat out not pleasant to be around. Like one of those moods where you hate being around yourself.

This past week I have challenged myself... to be a better daughter, sister, friend, cousin, etc. I read a very inspiring post at (in)courage written by Angie Smith. Go read it, she has a way with words. (ps- if you haven't read her book I Will Carry You it will rock your world! so go read it!)

Anyway, One Better? How exactly can I be one better? I mean I thought I was pretty good at helping out, swallowing my pride, biting my tongue, doing favors, not putting up a fuss....

NOT! but I quickly changed my attitude...

When my brother would ask me to get him something to drink, I would get up and get him something to drink.

Momma would head to the back of the house to fold clothes, I followed her to help.

Daddy wants to watch golf all day long, I don't put up a fuss about wanting to watch something different.

Daddy needs an appetizer for his deacons meeting, I volunteered to make something.

Daddy has to go down to my grandma's house to cut the grass and wants someone to go with him. Let me give you my thought process real quick: not me, I ain't going, Josh can go, I shouldn't have to push around a push mower in a yard that is 2 acres, I don't have to rake pine straw and pine cones, it's 2 hours away, I have better things to do at home (yeah right! that's a lie!) I'd hate to leave Momma at home by herself. I ended up going with him because I thought "one better, Brittany, one better" and guess what it wasn't have bad. Yeah I got sweaty a little and got a blister on my finger, but I was able to take a shower and the blister is gone now. It did me do to spend a 2 days with just my Daddy. And I actually had fun! I'm glad I went.

I think the moral of this story is if we do the simple things they add up for others and we also don't spend more than a couple of minutes at the most helping out and in turn it makes you feel good while doing good. It's a win, win situation and being "one better" has complete given me a new attitude. Now that doesn't mean I still don't struggle with giving attitudes and pouting (which I'm not proud of neither and it doesn't happen much but when it does oh boy, I need a 'come to Jesus meeting'). Those times are still present and I have to remind myself just what I'm about to do but I'm happy that they have basically stopped.

I simply love the thought the being "One Better." We all need to live life being one better and the world would be a much happier place. I challenge you to do this for a week. It doesn't just have to been things for others, read your Bible one extra time during the day, pray for someone you normally wouldn't, be the one to back down and say "you know, you are right, I'm wrong", start a load of clothes, do the dishes, cook your family dinner, and just in general love others more.

I can guarantee that you will love being/doing "one better." I dare you to try it for one day.. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment